Jun 26, 2012

Sania Mirza upset about Leander Paes pairing, blames male chauvinism

Saravana | 10:46 AM |
New Delhi: Indian tennis player Sania Mirza has finally broken her silence on the whole tennis row after being awarded a wild card to play at the London Olympics on Tuesday.

In a press release on Tuesday, Sania said she had not spoken on the issue until now as she wasn't assured of her participation.

"Since the day AITA announced the team for the Olympics a lot of questions have been raised by friends, colleagues, their parents and of course, by the media. As I thought these questions were purely hypothetical without my having qualified into the London Olympics, I did not think it was appropriate for me to respond to them at that point of time. However, now that I am officially a part of the greatest sporting event in the world, I think it is imperative for me to clarify my feelings."

She also praised rookie Vishnu Vardhan, who has been paired with Paes in the men's doubles event at the Olympics, and said that it was 'demeaning for me, Vishnu and Leander Paes' for Paes to consider playing with Vishnu only if she gave a written assurance to play mixed doubles with him.

"To Leander Paes I would like to point out that Vishnu Vardhan is an extremely talented player, who I had the privilege of partnering. We went on to win a silver medal for India at the 2010 Asian Games, when all the three male stalwarts of Indian tennis had opted to stay away from Guangzhou. I am convinced that he can go one better when pitted with someone as good as Leander as partner. For Leander to consider partnering with Vishnu only if he has a written assurance from me to play mixed (as Vece Uncle has suggested in his television interviews) is, I think demeaning for me, Vishnu and Leander Paes," she said.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Powered by 4cnotes.info | Disclaimer | Contact Us | write for us
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...